Frequently Asked Questions

1. Are you a state certified treatment facility?
Yes, in the state of Washington a treatment facility must have DBHR (Dept of Behavioral Health and Recovery) Certification in order to be qualified to assess and treat DUI’s , addictions.

2. Do you do Assessments?
Yes, Avalon Does DUI Assessments and regular assessments. An assessment is the first contact for anyone.

3. What is an Assessment?
An assessment is gathering information from you through an interview. This is a history to assess for alcohol or substance use. It includes specific questions about alcohol and drug use, work, home, physical health, mental health, family relationships and circumstances. An assessment helps to decide what kind of treatment if any is warranted. No single treatment approach is appropriate for all individuals. *

4. What do I need to bring for DUI Assessment?
For a DUI Assessment, you must bring your drivers abstract from the Dept of Licensing (DOL), any court paperwork, your BAC (blood alcohol content) ticket, a way to pay for the assessment (cash, check or credit card).

5. What is Alcohol and Drug Information School (ADIS)?
ADIS is an eight hour education class where you learn the basics of addiction, alcohol abuse, and DUI laws. Avalon Center offers ADIS classes on a regular schedule and can do individualized classes as the need arises. Just call 206-935-6228 or contact us.

6. What is a Victim’s Panel?
Victims of drunk drivers tell their story of how they and/or their family have been impacted by such a driver. This is a court requirement for DUI. Avalon can refer you to one please call 206-935-6228 or contact us.

7. What if I don’t need a DUI Assessment? And just want to stop drinking?
We can help with that. Talking to a counselor will help to figure out the next step. Call 206-935-6228 to talk to a counselor if we can’t answer the phone leave us a message. You may also contact us via email.

8. What type of treatment does Avalon offer?
Avalon offers separate intensive outpatient & outpatient treatment program for men and women. A person can start with individual sessions to figure out what would make sense. Coping Skills groups are also available.

9. How do I know what kind of treatment I should do?
A counselor will do an assessment and help you look at what to decide and what would be appropriate for you.

10. What does treatment cost? And how do I pay for it?
Treatment cost is dependent on what you need. An Assessment is the first step and will give information about the type of treatment. Avalon Center accepts some insurance and private pay for treatment.

11. What are Coping Skills Groups?
Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) is the basis for Coping Skills. Marsha Linehan of the University of Washington developed DBT skills that help people learn to cope with life and recovery. Call for information 206-935-6228 or contact us.

*NIDA – National Institute for Drugs and Alcohol